Friday 6 January 2017

The Inverse Triangle

They were in the bedroom of Karensa’s cottage and they were redressing.
“Where does she think you are?” she asked
“I told her I needed a walk to get some inspiration” he replied
“A lie then” She said bitterly
“Well I think what we just did was pretty inspirational” Bob said.
“What a characteristically glib response” she said disappointedly

Karensa Topping was a nurse and had been for ten years and she met Bob Swansborough when she was nursing his wife Ellie, although in truth it was more of a re-acquaintance.
They had briefly dated in their school days before the spark was lit between Bob and Ellie.
But when Bob’s wife was diagnosed with a terminal brain tumour the inverse triangle was completed when they began an affair.

By the time Karensa was standing in her bedroom doing up her bra, the affair had lasted for six weeks.
But she found the guilt was consuming her as much as the tumour was consuming Ellie’s brain.
“I don’t know what’s wrong with you Kez that was a pretty memorable afternoon exertion” Bob said
“I’m glad you thought it was memorable Bob because that was the last time” “What?” he exclaimed
“I feel so guilty I can’t carry on” Kerensa said
“This betrayal is unbearable, Ellie is my friend”
“And what, you think the guilt will ease if I was to leave her?”
“Leave her?” she said “I don’t want you to leave her, we would tear each other apart within a year. Every time we looked at each other it would be a constant reminder of what we had done, to an innocent”
“But I love you” he said
“I love you too but how long do you think we would stay in love if we continue to betray her” Karensa countered
“So what was all that about” he said pointing at the bed
“Your last hurrah” she replied
He remained silent while she finished dressing then he said
“Then she must never know we did this”
“Seriously?” Kerensa said “you really imagine that she doesn’t know?”
Kerensa picked up her bag “make sure you lock up when you leave”

No comments:

Post a Comment